Monday 22 April 2013

A Guide To Skincare: Sensitive Skin


At first glance, most people wouldn't assume my skin is sensitive. Although, really, it all depends on what phase my skin is going through at the time. Usually (75% of the time) my skin is fairly even-toned, a little dry but not really prone to any tightness and redness. But once a month, for a few days (I'm sure you can work out why!) my skin becomes incredibly oily, shiny and really spotty. And if you take these things into consideration my skin-type could be any number of things: dry, normal, oily and combination. When really, it is sensitive. 

Sensitive skin is quite easy to diagnose - if it becomes tight/very red/sore at mild stimulus's EG. wind or gentle exfoliation it is probably sensitive. Also, sensitive skin is usually associated with dryness or pale skin. It can become irritated from anything ranging to over-exposure to the sun, to pollution in the air, or even the over-use of current skincare products. 

So, what products do you use? It depends on how sensitive your skin is. Mine isn't a particularly severe case, although a friend of mine's is particularly difficult. The trick is to work out a routine, test products singularly to gauge your skin's reaction and to pin-point which areas of your skin are the most sensitive. Some people have to avoid the cheek area when exfoliating (me!), whereas some have to avoid the forehead. 

Essential Words: When purchasing skincare, always read the back of the bottle. Even if a product is suitable for 'every skin type', it's probably going to be too harsh for your skin. Always make sure it specifically states it's suitability for sensitive skin. Lean towards cleansing lotions and milks for a sensitive skin as these are more nourishing than gels or foams. Avoid any clay or mud masks as these extract moisture from the skin are are usually used to treat oily skin types. Also, check if the product is a 'skin friendly' PH - this means it will cleanse without altering the skin's natural state. Look out for products containing Aloe Vera, as it's weirdly close to the skin's natural PH which means it helps soothe and moisturise skin without irritation

Here are my favorite skincare products for caring for my very sensitive skin!

At home:





I quite like these products. At first I started out using the Moisturiser and the Eye Cream when I found them in the sale in Boots (half price) but at that point I was having weekly Dermalogica Facials at college and didn't want to over-work my skin by introducing another round of products as it was so sensitive. But now, as we draw closer to the end of the course, my facials are becoming less and less frequent so I thought it was about time I invested in some products for use at home. The Cleanser and Toner are only recent additions to my routine (after months of testing out other products with no success) and I'm liking them so far but am going to reserve judgement until the end of the week when I will give my final verdict.

Prices range from £2.49 - £4.99. Available from most Boots stores.

The only other Skincare Brands I would really recommend for sensitive skin would be Simple and Dermalogica. I've never used Simple's products (a friend of mine has similar skin problems to mine and she found it too harsh), but I have used Dermalogica first hand and would really recommend them to anyone looking for high-end products. You could alternatively book into a salon/spa/college salon for monthly Dermalogica facials if you don't want to invest in the products yourself. Prices are avaliable on request from salons, colleges and spas in your area.

So I hope that helped some of you! I know what a nightmare finding the right skincare can be but I'm planning on adding additional parts to this skincare guide for Normal, Dry, Oily and Combination skin types soon!

xo






4 comments:

  1. What great prices! It's quite a coincidence that my old blog which I don't post on anymore was called 'MegaNails' haha, we could have been blog name twinsies! Great, informative post :)

    http://thebeautypier.blogspot.com

    Megan xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh haha! my boyfriend named this blog, I literally couldn't think of a name and he said 'you say mega alot, use that' haha! + yeah the prices are so cheap, and they're almost always on sale I swear! xo

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog - fellow Bristol Blogger!
    Hope to hear more from you.

    Emma
    x

    ReplyDelete