Sunday 30 June 2013

The Summer Transition: Work Out Routine & Kit

 
I'm not sure about anywhere else, but in the UK our summer (and sunshine) is nothing if not unpredictable. Meaning my very shaky willpower has needed something to root for before it fully commits - but, finally, the sun has come through.
 
I started up The Summer Transition quite a while a go, promising that I'd write posts featuring the changes I'd made to prepare myself for summer. But after publishing my favourite products and lip colours, the sun disappeared and with it my summery determination. However, I'm getting re-involved with my work outs and with it re-vamped my work out bag to show you all!
 
 


This is my current 'work out' bag. It's basically a large make-up bag from Primark, but it's length and width are the perfect size to fit all my essentials (even my trainers!) without bulking up my handbag too much. I think Primark still stocks make-up bags in this style but not necessarily in this colour (mine was in the sale in January). 
 
I switch up the contents of this bag depending on my work out. My scheduled work-outs include Zumba three times a week and swimming once a fortnight. My more impromptu exercise is usually associated with my litter sister or my dog, which I don't need a gym bag for!
 
Generally the components of the bag stay the same, but when it comes to Zumba I like to switch it up when it comes to clothing and make-up. For those of you who haven't heard of Zumba it's basically exaggerated dancing of a range of different styles (my instructor's routines include street dance, ballroom and salsa). My classes are all an hour long, and you can choose how hard you want to push yourself depending on the amount of effort you put in. For example, if I want to tone up my legs a little more then I'll stretch them even further during a lunge move. It's so fun I almost forget I'm working out.
 
 
But for now I'll show you the basic essentials that I keep in the bag.
 
 
Aztec & Leopard Print Bikini - Primark, £7. Purple Sports Bra - Primark, £4. Grey Trainers - Primark, £2.50.
 
As you can probably tell, I had a bit of a fitness haul in Primark recently. The purchase I love the most is that bikini - it's amazing! The top is strapless with a little triangle cut out on the cleavage area. I got a size 6 in the top and size 8 in the bottoms. I also picked up a cute purple sports bra for £4! I'd had my eye on a gorgeous sky blue one from Sports Direct which was £22, but when I saw this bargain I couldn't resist! I would have liked to get it in a size 6 but all they had left was one size 8 so I grabbed it in that size instead.
 
 
Make-up wise, I like to wear a slick of tinted lip balm and a tiny hint of waterproof mascara. I'm currently using Max Factor's 2000 Calorie Waterproof Mascara and The Body Shop's Born Lippy in Raspberry. I also like to pencil in my eyebrows - it helps to frame the face despite the lack of eye make-up. Other than that, I try to keep my face completely clear. I mean, what's the point in spending time perfecting eye liner and blending foundation if it's going to sweat off anyway? It's also a hell of a lot healthier to let your skin breathe when working out. Sometimes, I also like to keep a little spray bottle of water to spritz on my face, neck and chest post-work out as a little pick me up.
 
Also in my bag are Batiste Dry Shampoo (coconut scented), Dove Go Fresh Roll On Deodorant in Lemon Fresh, a pair of tweezers, bobby pins, a few hair bands and a comb.
 
So there you have it!
 
What are your favourite workout essentials for the summer?
 
xo
 
 

 
 

4 comments:

  1. This was great! I'm trying to go to the gym more this summer!

    I have nominated you for a Liebster award if you're interested!

    http://beatricenotyetlost.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/liebster-award.html

    Bea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yeah, me too, I just need a work-out buddy to encourage me or I never get anywhere haha! xx

      Delete