Thursday 17 October 2013

Step By Step: Zombie Nails! (Halloween nail art)


 
One of my favourite things about the colder seasons is all of the amazing holidays. Halloween, Bonfire Night, Christmas, New Year... all outrageous opportunities to be a little more scary, sparkly, daring and over the top with our make-up, fashion and nails. 
 
So today I thought I'd show you my little DIY project for Halloween: Zombie Nails. I'm taking my little sister out trick-or-treating this year (she's going to be a Minion, IM SO EXCITED) so I thought I'd be a little adventurous and try some cool Halloween nail art to wear out with her. Make-up and hair wise, I'm just going to keep it simple and dramatic: BIG hair that makes me look like I've been dragged through a hedge, minus the leaves and twigs, thick black eyeliner and bright red lips. Outfit-wise I'm not too sure of yet, but I might post an OOTD when I decide what look I'm going for!
 
Anyway, the nails. I thought I'd be a bit more generous with this step by step than I have been in the past, by taking photos along the way to help with the instructions. The key to this look is layering, layering, layering. And also, to be messy! This really is the most simple nail art I've probably ever featured on Mega Beauty.
 
Difficulty: Beginner.
 
What you'll need:
 
 
 
Kit:
 
Nail Clippers / Scissors.
 
False Nails. I got mine from eBay for 99p for a pack of six.
 
Nail Varnishes:
 
Pale Pink or Nude: Avon Nail Wear Pro in Perfectly Flesh
 
Yellow: Miss Sporty Clubbing Colours
 
Green: Revlon's Sassy
 
Red: Nail Fix Red
 
Brown: Bourjois in Santal Opulent (might be a foreign name!)
 
Steps:

 
 




1. Using your nail clippers/scissors, cut irregular chips out of the tips of the false nails. This creates the look of broken, chipped nails.
 






 


2. Once happy with your broken nails, paint the whole nail in your nude/pale pink shade. This will create a base for your other colours.






 
 3. Apply the yellow polish. The trick to getting the coverage right on this part is to try and get the least amount of polish on your brush as you can. This will create a more faded look that works better when it comes to applying the next layer and adds more texture. If you apply the colour too full-on, keep going over it with the brush or even use a make-up sponge to dab it away. The streakier and messier the better!



 
 




4. Repeat the previous step with the green polish.






 
 

5. Use your red nail varnish to add touches of 'blood' around the cuticle area and on the broken tips.








 
 

6. Use the brown nail varnish to add touches of 'dirt' around the sides of the nail and along the cuticle line. You could also add small touches on top of the red varnish to add contrast.








7. Seal your design with a top coat and you're finished!




I think this design is so simple to do but looks so professional and unique. Also, the good thing is once you do them once you can keep them to wear every year or if you feel the urge to inject some zombie-ness into your daily life.

xx
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments: