Wednesday 29 May 2013

The Perfect Base: Concealers


I've never been much of a foundation wearer, mostly because I could never find a shade that actually matched my skintone properly and because any sales assistant I've discussed foundations with has always said my skin doesn't need it! The main problems with my skin is redness on my cheeks (sensitive skin trait!) and depressingly dark circles under my eyes which I treat with targeting concealer instead of a full face of foundation.

These are the concealers I've been using recently, including my must-have moisturiser and a multi-tasking eye shadow. 

Left - Right. Boots Simply Sensitive Moisturiser // Translucent Powder // MUA Eyeshadow Shade 17 // Green, Natural and Lilac Concealer Tower // Collection Cover Up Stick in Fair // MUA Cover and Conceal in Fair



I apologise that some of these products aren't 'branded' (the translucent powder and concealer tower) but they were the products I got with my college make-up kit and are the ones that I use. I'm going to explain these products in the order that I use them in, so sorry if they don't follow the order in the photo!

Boots Simply Sensitive Moisturiser

I have a fuller review of this moisturiser here

I believe part of having a good skin base is having good skincare. There's nothing worse than applying foundation/powder just for it to look flaky and irregular where it's been caught on dry skin. I apply this ten - fifteen minutes before I put any products on my skin to allow time to sink in properly and it sorts out any dry patches.

Concealer Tower - Green 

Green-toned concealers are known for counter-acting redness. A must have for oily/sensitive skins, as it reduces the look of irritation, breakouts and broken blood vessels. If you can't get your hands on a green concealer, No 7 does an amazing green tinted primer that's amazing either under foundation or translucent powder. However, if your redness is selective to a few small areas or is in need of a more heavy coverage, a concealer is your best bet. Just be sure to blend thoroughly for risk of green patches!

Concealer Tower - Lilac

Purple-toned concealers are known for counter-acting yellow/sallowness in your skin tone. A must have for any olive skinned girls, as this brightens up your colouring beautifully and naturally. Also great at helping tackle under-eye circles, lilac concealers seem quite scary but are a 'perfect base' staple. 

Collection 2000 Cover Up Stick in Fair

I use this concealer stick under my eyes, and it's amazing! I suffer from really dark under eye circles and this mixed with a little of the lilac concealer sorts them out beautifully! This colour is also a near perfect match for my colouring (which is ridiculously pale) and blends naturally into my skin tone without any tell-tale colour lines. Also a bargain! (£1.99, Boots.)

Make Up Academy Cover & Concealer in Fair

This isn't neccesarily an 'every day' must have for me, as I only use it when I have breakouts. I picked it up recently as Superdrug are currently running a 3 for 2 (I also bought the eyeshadow featured in this post and my MUA Lipstick in Shade 4) for £1.50. It comes in three shades (Fair, Natural and Almond) and despite buying the lightest I find it a touch too orange for me. However, it's concealing power is incredible! I use this on blemishes and it hides them away perfectly. The consistency is actually really thick and creamy but blends well. 

Translucent Powder

Another part of my college kit, I dust this powder over my skin to help set the concealers and mask any slight discolouration (sometimes the green is prone to it!). It also helps mattify my skin. Once this one is all used up I think I'm going to try the Rimmel Stay Matte - so if anyone reading has used it, what's it like?!

Make Up Academy Eye shadow in Matte 17

I use this matte eye shadow every day. Weirdly it's almost the same colour as my skin when applied, which helps as I have quite obvious veins on my lid and across my brow bone and this gives me an even base to apply more shadow to or nice natural-looking colouring. The shadow itself has a beautifully soft texture and there's literally no fall-out at all! The best part is the £1 price tag!


What are your fave concealer products?


No comments:

Post a Comment