Tuesday 6 August 2013

Step by Step Monsters Inc Nail Art! (Monsters University)

 
 
I don't know what it is, but having cartoon characters on my nails puts me in such a happy mood. First it was my minions here & here and now I'm back with my Monsters Inc nail art!
 
Just like with the Minions, I took my little sister to the cinema to watch Monsters University along with my brother and my boyfriend (I think I enjoyed the film the most!) and thought I'd do a little nail art to show my appreciation of Mike Wazowski and Sully!
 
I'm sorry that the photo isn't the best quality, but my camera's still not warming up to me so I had to use my phone!
 
 
 
Like last time, I would like to point out that I am by no means an expert at nail art so it's safe to say anyone could do these nails! I chose my middle finger and my ring finger as the feature nails and kept the rest of them a simple white. I think this puts more focus on the characters, and also the little details like Sully's teeth and Mike's eye are white so it matches in a way!
 
To do this nail art I used:
 
Revlon's Blue Lagoon
 
Barry M Gelly in Prickly Pear
 
Rimmel I Heart Lasting Finish in Green Grass
 
Nail Fix's White (came with my college kit, so any other white nail varnish is fine)
 
Black Nail Art Pen
 
White Nail Art Pen
 
Alternatively, you could use a dotting tool and a nail art brush dipped in black/white nail varnish if you don't have a nail art pen to hand. Bobby pins are also great if you don't have a dotting tool.
 
 
Difficulty: Beginner.
 
Steps:
 
1. Paint your nails. I painted my ring finger in a bright green, my middle finger in a shimmery blue and the rest of my nails white. I applied two coats of each.
 
2. Using the white nail varnish brush, draw a large circle in the middle of the green nail. Tidy up the circle with the white nail art pen. You could just use the white nail art pen to draw the eye if you prefer.
 
3. Using the brush of the purple nail varnish (make sure there's hardly any nail varnish on the brush) drag it across the blue nail to create blobs. Make sure these blobs are as irregular as possible, as the purple markings on Sully's fur are a little more square shaped.
 
4. Once the white of Mike's eye is dry, draw a little mouth with the black nail art pen. I chose a half smile as I feel it matches his personality! But you could do any mouth you like. Add a small black dot in the centre of his eye.
 
5. Once Sully's purple markings are dry, draw both of his eyes with the white nail art pen. Whilst waiting for them to dry, draw a smile with the black nail art pen. Once dry, draw two small triangle teeth with the white nail art pen. Add two small black dots in the centre of his eyes.
 
So there you have it!
 
Although there are a few more steps to this one than the minions (I think), it's simply because everything is done in layers. A little patience is needed, but I did these whilst watching a movie (Avatar if you were wondering) so I barely noticed the drying times!
 
What do you think of this nail art? If you recreate it, I'd love to see a photo so tweet it to me: @laaurenpiperx
 
xx
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment