Sunday 4 August 2013

DIY Sunday: Cinnamon Body Scrub!

 
I feel there's nothing more satisfying than using something that you yourself have made. Weither it's a delicious meal (my roast dinner is currently cooking!), a new way to organise your make-up or a handmade beauty product, I always feel ten times prouder and happier with the turn out if I've made it myself.
 
So following my new ventures in DIY comes a new series for my blog: DIY Sundays. I think people think of Sundays as a day to relax, but I'm too energetic for that. I can barely sit for half an hour to write a blog post! Here I'm going to share with you all of the DIY projects I've undertaken and my results.
 
For my first post of this series, I have a delicious homemade body scrub for you! I prefer to use this on my hands and feet as the cinnamon is so invigorating and warming that it's perfect after a long day in the rain.
 
 
 
Difficulty: Beginner.
 
You will need:
 
1 cup of brown sugar. (white sugar works just as well, I just prefer the scent!)
10 tbsp. of oil. Olive or Sunflower is best as they don't carry a smell like vegetable oil does. You could also try with Baby Oil!
1 tea spoon of cinnamon
1/2 tbsp. of honey (optional)
1/2 tea spoon of pure vanilla extract (optional)
 
Steps:
 
1. Pour 1 cup of brown sugar into a bowl. Mix well with a fork to make sure it's smooth and has no clumps.
 
2. Add the oil one tablespoon at a time and mix thoroughly.
 
3. Add half a tablespoon of honey. This step is optional - I just prefer my scrubs a little thicker and stickier. Mix thoroughly. I had to use my hands to break the honey down properly - don't be afraid to get stuck in!
 
4. Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Mix well.
 
5. Add half a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. This step is optional - I just like the smell!
 
It's as simple as that! The scent of this scrub is delicious - and it also looks good enough to eat! (something I don't encourage - it doesn't taste very nice). The sugar buffs away dead skin whilst the oil replenishes dryness and leaves your skin so soft to touch.
 
The measurements I used was enough to fill my Sanctuary Spa scrub tub and also half of a mini S&G Flake Away. It translates roughly as 200g. I'm going to transfer this mix into a pretty jar when I give it to my sister for her birthday, but until then I'm happy re-using my old scrub tubs!
 
xx
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment