Sunday 11 August 2013

DIY Sunday: Simple DIY Manicure!


 
Hello everyone!
 
Following last week's DIY Sunday Cinnamon Body Scrub post (here), I thought we'd put the product to good use and use it in a manicure! Of course all of the products I feature in this post can be switched out for your favourites, but I thought since I made the scrub I might as well use it.
 
 
I was taught how to do a 'proper' manicure at college where I studied Beauty Therapy, but you can choose to re-arrange or skip some of these steps to suit yourself. It's such a simple thing to do, and yet I feel so luxurious afterwards. I give myself a manicure once every 2 weeks or so, but in the winter I do them more regularly as my hands get so cracked and dry in the cold. Not nice!
 
You will need:
 
- A bowl filled with warm water (large enough to fit your whole hand in) and two towels.
 
- Bubble bath of your choice. I chose Radox's Relax.
 
- Hand Lotion of your choice - I chose Kaeso's.
 
- Nail file, hoof stick (the little white thing you push your cuticles back with)
 
- Nail varnish remover & cotton wool. I have Boots Nail Varnish Remover Pads, they're amazing!
 
- Body scrub of your choice. You can use a manicure scrub if you have one to hand. I'm using the Cinnamon scrub I made last week!
 
- Cuticle Cream/Lotion. This isn't essential as long as you do 'Step One' as the warm water should help soften your cuticles.
 
What to do:
 
1. Soak your hands for 2 - 3 minutes in the warm, soapy water.
 
2. Dry your hands off and get your scrub of choice. Massage a small amount of the scrub in circular motions all over your hands - don't forget in between your fingers!
 
3. Rinse your hands in the water and make sure they're super dry. Now you're going to file your nails. Make sure when you file that you pull the file in one direction only. Rubbing it backwards and forwards can cause nail splits and weakens the nail!
 
4. Soak again for a few seconds, then dry. Next we're going to work on our cuticles. Apply a small blob of cuticle lotion to your cuticles and massage in thoroughly. Rinse off. Now get your hoof stick (the little white thing) and gently push back your cuticles. If you don't have a hoof stick, you could twist a little cotton wool around the end of an orange wood stick, or even a cocktail stick.
 
5. Now that your nails are ready for painting and your skin is feeling soft, we're going to inject a little moisture with a hand lotion. Only apply a small amount so it doesn't create a film over your nails. Wipe your nails over with nail varnish remover just to remove the last of the oils that the previous products could have left.
 
6. Finally it's time to paint! I chose Rimmel's I Heart Lasting Finish in Marshmallow Heaven and topped it off with Rimmel's Matte Finish Pro for a textured look.
 
So there you have it! It literally takes not even fifteen minutes to do, I normally do this whilst watching back-to-back episodes of Glee (yeah, I'm a Gleek).
 
Look out for my next DIY Sunday post, as I'm going to show you guys how to do a 'professional' hand & arm massage!
 
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment