Monday 20 May 2013

A Guide To Skincare: Dry Skin


Hellooooo!

I started off this series of posts right at the end of April but shamefully have only published the Oily (here) and the Sensitive (here) editions! *slap on the wrist*

However, I'm here today with the Dry Skin edition (at last). 

My own personal skin type is sensitive/dry, which basically means I use cleansers, toners, exfoliators ect designed for sensitive skin but I tend to go for moisturizers developed for dry skin as they're normally a lot more nourishing. 

'Diagnosing' a dry skin is generally a visual thing. The skin is obviously flaky either all over the face or on specific areas (eg the nose or cheeks) due to insufficient oil and moisture production. Most of the time these flakes can become detached from the face at gentle stimulus's very easily. This skin type is prone to premature aging (boo!), meaning wrinkles develop early, especially around the eyes. However blackheads and open pores are less likely after puberty. 

So, what products do you use? The 'superhero' products for dry skins are definitely a luxurious, thick moisturising cream and a gentle exfoliator. In my next point I'll explain what to look out for in cleansers, toners and face masks including the types of products and essential ingredients.

Essential Words: When purchasing a cleanser, learn towards lotions, milks or balms. These are a lot more nourishing than other cleansers. Avoid the use of foam cleansers as these are designed to suck the moisture out of the skin and are used when treating oily skin. Essential oils (I like to use coconut) are always good to lock in extra moisture, and can be mixed with a moisturiser. Moisturising creams that come in a pot are a lot thicker than lotions that come in a bottle and are more 'heavy duty' when it comes to treating dryness. Aloe Vera is also good to look out for - it's nourishing and soothing without irritating the skin. 

Personally, my all time favourite brand to use on my dryness is Johnsons, but I've also included a few others that have come highly recommended! 


1. Johnson's Daily Essentials Nourishing Cleansing Lotion - £3.29, Boots.
2. Nivea Double Effect Eye Make Up Remover - £3.59, Boots
3. LUSH Skin Drink Moisurising Cream - £11.95, LUSH
4. Montagne Jeunesse Dry Skin Mask - 90p, Primark
5. Nivea Facial Cleansing Wipes - £2.99, Boots
6. Johnsons Daily Essentials Nourishing 24 Hour Day Cream (with SPF 15) - £4.09, Boots

Now, I know I've said this a million times, but investing in monthly facials will significantly help with the look and feel of your skin. Check out college salons for great treatments at bargain prices, or perhaps have a birthday treat and go to a spa or salon? 

So I hope that helped! If you have any recommendations of products to put into this list leave a comment and I'll add it in.

What products do you use on your dry skin?

No comments:

Post a Comment