Sunday 8 September 2013

DIY Sunday: How I Clean My Make-up Brushes!

 
I don't know what it is, but I am so lazy when it comes to keeping things clean and tidy. Believe me, if you could see my bedroom floor right now, you'd see most of my outfits from the past week. Which is totally disgusting, I know, and I'm gonna sort it out in a minute don't worry, but if there's one thing that I always always keep sanitary it's my make-up and my make-up brushes.

There was a point in my make-up wearing life that I didn't actually clean my brushes all that often, and my skin really suffered from it. Picture this: you have a breakout and, naturally, conceal those little suckers with some foundation using your foundation brush. You might then, maybe, add a touch of translucent powder to set it, using your powder brush. All of those germs that come from touching those spots, are going to transfer onto your brushes, then back into your products and then, the next day when you use them all again, back into your skin.

I make it a habit to give my brushes a really deep clean every Sunday, ready for use on the Monday morning when my make-up wearing routine starts again. Of course, if my skin has been misbehaving that week then I might give them a quick rinse if needed, but mostly it's just a Sunday thing.


To clean my brushes, I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo. It's really gentle on both synthetic and natural bristles and gives a really good lather to ensure your cleansing from root to tip. Alternatively, you could mix a little surgical spirit with some water (we do this at college), or of course use a professional brush cleaner. I hear Mac does a good one, but my baby shampoo does the job for me!

What you will need:

Lukewarm water. If your water is too hot, it could loosen the glue over time.

A bowl/a sink.

Baby Shampoo/Brush cleanser of your choice

Hand Sanitizer

Tissue/a small towel

Make-up Brushes

Steps:

Step One: Before I do anything, I always give my hands a quick cleanse themselves with a squirt of hand sanitizer. I then rinse thoroughly under the tap just to be sure they're clean!

Step Two: Dip the tip of your brush into the water. Immerse fully, but try to concentrate on the tips of the brushes - this saves the glue from wearing down over time, and the majority of your make-up will be thicker at the ends.

Step Three: Apply a small blob of baby shampoo to the palm of your hand, depending on the size of the brush.

Step Four: Swirl your brush into the shampoo. Don't be afraid to apply a little pressure - you want to ensure all of the bristles are covered! Keep swirling until it creates a thick lather.

Step Five: Rinse your brush in the water. This process will probably take a few dips to make sure all of the bubbles and make-up residue has been removed. I prefer to do this under a running tap, just so I can gauge when the brush is clean as the water runs clear.

Step Six: Reshape the bristles of the brush with your fingers and then lay it down on a thick wad of tissue to dry.

Step Seven: Repeat for all of your brushes!

It really is that simple guys! The trick to getting really clean brushes is to work as thoroughly as possible, and perhaps even double-cleansing if necessary. I tend to do this with my foundation brush as it's my most used and most clogged with product.

I leave my brushes to dry naturally overnight so they're fresh and ready to use the next morning.

What do you guys use to clean your brushes?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment