Friday 28 February 2014

Health & Fitness Update #1

 
What do we have here? Another new feature on my blog? I know I said in the New Year that I would be trying to incorporate some more pieces of my life into my blog and so far I'm really happy with it! I hope you guys don't mind the change and are enjoying my new posts too :)
 
I've been trying to go on a bit of a fitness kick lately, not so much a massive diet and exercise binge but more of a gradual lifestyle change in general. I've been wanting to do this for a while after many failed attempts but the allure of Springtime and crop tops is pushing my forward. I'm going to try and stay as honest as possible when it comes to the exercise I manage to do and the food I eat, so if you spot a McDonalds on here once or twice you have been forewarned!
 
After that super long intro, let's just get onto the update.
 
To me, going back to college after the half-term break seemed like the perfect opportunity for me to indulge in some healthy eating. My college hours mean that I'm eating lunch at college twice a week, 'dinner' once a week and breakfast twice a week as I get up super early to get the bus. I used to be guilty of getting chips on two of those three days, a habit which I've now kicked completely.
 
My college lunches & snacks this week:
 
Monday:
Wholegrain pitta bread with roasted turkey breast chunks, with a few pieces of dark chocolate and a small stack of pretzels and a side of grapes. I had a bottle of water as a drink.
 
Tuesday:
Wholegrain pasta with sweet corn and broccoli, a Belvita breakfast bar (the chocolate and nuts one) and a bottle of orange juice for my drink.
 
Thursday:
Wholegrain pasta with sweet corn with a bottle of water and a small stack of crackers with cheese chunks.
 
As you can see from what I had, I've been replacing white bread and pasta with their wholegrain options. I honestly prefer brown bread to white anyway, but wholegrain pasta was a new experience for me and I can honestly say I'm converted. My boyfriend now calls me a pasta snob because I will only eat wholegrain pasta! It's much better for you as it contains more fibre and nutrients that the regular white pasta. The same goes for bread and I didn't realise how much sugar goes into regular white bread! It's insane. I still have a few treats packed such as pretzels and dark chocolate but only if I finish my fruit first (haha) as I find that if I crave chocolate at college, the prices are so expensive that I end up losing money and eating more of it than intended. If I pack myself a small amount, I can control the amount I'm eating whilst satisfying the craving.
 
Exercise-wise, I've subscribed to the Blogilates Youtube Channel which is amazing, scoured Pinterest for inspiration and routine ideas and downloaded some of my old Zumba songs and have been doing a few old routines I can remember from my classes last summer. I have also been taking part (kind of) in the 30-day Plank, which is basically where you do the plank movement daily but up your time by ten seconds each day. I'm not going to lie, I have been skipping days on this and have been stuck on 60 seconds for a while now but every time I work out I always add in the plank movement at least twice. Jogging is also on my work out list at the moment, as I'm working my way up to being able to run outdoors without becoming a tired mess within minutes.
 
I hope you guys liked this change of post, it's been a much longer one than I thought but now I've set down the basics I wont have to fill you in on as much next time!
 
xx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment